The Republic of Serbia is a democratic country of Serbian people and all citizens residing within its territory. Its history and achievements make it an integral part of modern civilization and the international community.
The Republic of Serbia has two autonomous provinces: Vojvodina and Kosovo and Metohija. The capital of the country is Belgrade. With a population of 1.6 million, it is the administrative, economic and cultural centre of Serbia.
Official language is Serbian and official script is Cyrillic alphabet; Latin alphabet is also in use. National minorities have statutory right to utilize their language and script in official use in the areas where they live.  
Serbia is in the Western European time zone (one hour ahead of Greenwich time).

Location: Serbia is located in the central part of the Balkan Peninsula, on the most important transport routes connecting Europe and Asia. Serbia is referred to as the crossroads of Europe and it is a geopolitically important territory. International roads and railways passing through its river valleys make up the shortest link between Western and Central Europe, on the one side, and the Middle East, Asia and Africa, on the other.  

Area: Serbia occupies an area of 88,361 square kilometers.

Boundaries: The length of Serbia's national border is 2,114.2 km. To the east Serbia borders with Bulgaria, to the northeast with Romania, with Hungary to the north, with Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina to the west, with Montenegro to southwest, and to the south with Albania and Macedonia.

Climate: Serbia’s climate is temperate continental, with a gradual transition between the four seasons of the year.

Land use: Serbia covers the area of 8,840,000 hectares in total. Agricultural land covers the area of 5,734,000 hectares (0.56 ha per capita), and 4,867,000 hectares of that area is arable land (0.46 ha per capita). About 70% of the total territory of Serbia is made up of agricultural land, while the remaining 30% is covered by forests.

Population: 7,120,666 (excluding the autonomous province Kosovo and Metohija) – according to the 2011 census.

Ethnic groups: The majority of the population of Serbia are ethnic Serbs, while there are also 37 other nationalities living in Serbia. The Constitution of the Republic of Serbia guarantees rights to the national minorities in line with the highest international standards.

Religions: Majority of population of Serbia are Orthodox Christians. In addition to the Serbian Orthodox Church, there are also other religious communities in Serbia: Islamic, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and other.

Policy: Serbian Government priorities are:
– full commitment to Serbia joining the EU as soon as possible,
– preservation of Kosovo and Metohija within the Republic of Serbia,
– development of Serbian economy and improvement of living standard of its citizens,
– development of socially responsible state and caring society,
– resolutely combating crime and corruption,
– full cooperation with the Hague Tribunal.

Reform processes in Serbia aim at promoting legal order and economic system of the country, as well as at approximation to the EU standards.
The Republic of Serbia is deeply committed to the principles of democracy, individual freedom and rule of law.

External policy: European Union is a key partner of the Republic of Serbia in the process of international support to democratic and economic reforms. Development of relations with the EU is a priority of Serbian foreign policy. The adoption of the National Strategy for EU Accession in 2005 defined accession of Serbia to the EU as a priority and long-term strategic goal.
Serbia’s commitment to joining the EU goes hand in hand with the determination of Serbia to develop, to the greatest extent, political, economic and cultural relations with all the countries of the world, and especially with the countries in the region. The Republic of Serbia takes part in numerous regional initiatives and processes.
One of the priorities of the Republic of Serbia refers to observing, protecting and promoting human rights, at both national and international levels, in accordance with the United Nations Charter.